Dandelion Bread

I have been trying to learn more about the "weeds" that grow in our yard.  Many of them are edible with healing properties.  Dandelions are a good example, I have been putting the baby greens in my salads for years, but read about making bread from the petals a few years ago and tried it.  I was thrilled at how good it was - so much so, that I find myself looking forward to spring during the winter, so I can once again make it.  It is delicious!!!  I have had some people voice concern that it would be bitter, as the leaves and stems can be very bitter, but the petals themselves are much sweeter with just a hint of bitterness that is completely removed with the honey and baking.

I don't remember where I got the original recipe, but I have made a few alterations to it over the years after testing it thoroughly.  I do remember that it didn't come out right the first time I made it, the way it was written, but the flavor was good enough that it was worth taking the time to fine tune it.  It makes a moist, dense loaf.  Use less dandelion petals for a less moist loaf.


You need to pick about twice as many flowers as you need for petals.  It is only the petals that you want to use for this recipe.  The recipe calls for 2 cups, so pick about 4 cups of flowers only, no stems.



Soak them briefly in some salt water to get rid of any little 6-legged hitchhikers and spin dry in a salad spinner.  Get them as dry as possible!  Separate the petals by cutting them off at the bottom with a pair of scissors.  I leave the little bit of green that surrounds them for the sake of saving time and it tastes just fine, plus it adds an interesting bit of color to the finished product.


Don't worry about a little green
What you will need (makes 2 loaves):

1-2 tablespoons butter - softened to grease pans
Flour, as needed to dust buttered pans
3 large eggs
2 2/3 cup milk
1/2 cup melted coconut oil
3/4 cup honey
1 teaspoon salt
4 teaspoons baking powder, sifted
4 cups AP flour
2 cups dandelion petals - don't pack (1 1/2 for a less moist loaf)

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees (Fahrenheit).  Butter and flour 2 bread pans and set aside.

Beat the eggs until smooth, then add the milk, oil and honey until well combined and smooth.  I like to use the paddle attachment to my stand mixer on low speed, but you can also do it by hand with a whisk.  Combine the other 4 dry ingredients in another bowl until the dandelion petals are distributed evenly throughout - it helps to rub the dandelions between your fingers in the flour; take your time on this step.  Add the dry ingredients to the beaten, wet ingredients in the mixer and combine on low speed for about 15 seconds, scrape the paddle and sides, and then mix for another 15 seconds or so, just until the mixture is thoroughly combined.  Don't over-mix.

Batter ready for the oven


Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pans, dividing it evenly and bake in preheated oven for about 1 hour, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.  The loaf will be golden brown.  Do not under-bake.

Allow to cool slightly, remove from pans to cool the rest of the way on a wire rack.  It will fall and shrink a bit while cooling, that's OK.



Slice and serve at room temperature or slightly warm with butter, honey or jam, or maybe butter and jam...  oooohhh honey butter...

I like this bread so much I'm going to have to research dandelion jam.

Comments

Popular Posts